Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Are You Measuring Progress With Your Trade Plan?


Month end is a great opportunity to allocate more of your time to analysis. You should be measuring your progress constantly but scheduling extra time once a month is a great way to keep yourself pointed in the right direction.  If you haven't already, you should get into the habit of reviewing your portfolio to make sure it aligns with your broader investment goals.

If you're like me, then the hardest part about starting something new is getting started so I'm coming up with a quick check list that can help.  Watch for my next blog post next week, I'll provide a PDF that you can use in this effort.

When I analyze my portfolio, I refer back to my own plan.  I focus on what the charts and data are showing versus what my "gut" is telling me.  It can be difficult to train yourself to think this way but the charts don’t lie. Think of charts as a map that show you how to get somewhere you've never been before.  For me, this isn't about ego, it's about limiting my risk and taking a sure profit.

Recently I highlighted some stocks that looked promising to me.  Each one of these stocks has gone on to perform as I predicted, so hopefully you were able to take positions on them.

  • AAPL
  • NXPI
  • SWKS
  • SLXP
  • MCK
  • BIIB 

From what I'm seeing, I expect the market to move sideways or we may see a slow grind upwards. Based on this, I'm staying bullish this month.

We are still seeing some negatives in Europe with the Euro being devalued and a lack of growth in the Eurozone. The dollar is still strong, though, and I foresee a slight dip in oil - possibly 5%. Given all of these variables, I'm focusing my attention on US stocks.  Here's what I'm looking at now:

  • KR
  • EA
  • BRCM
  • DATA
  • PCYC
  • SBUX
  • ROST
  • ORLY
  • ULTA
  • NCLH

Some of these are extended while others are reaching or hovering along their buy points. Last week I laid out a simple option strategy, to lower your cost of entry into a stock. This weekend might be a good time to study that strategy and figure out a way to enter some of these stocks.

Stick to your due diligence and establish a trade plan before entering any position. Feel free to reach out to me if you'd like some guidelines on developing a trade plan. I can help you establish specific entry points, profit targets and loss exit targets.

I want you to stay disciplined with your approach in the market.  Always be prepared because the market can turn on a dime. You need to be to be able to take action, either to harvest profits or to minimize your losses.  Let's be honest, tt requires a disciplined approach to be in the market and there are no short cuts.

Have a great week and let's all have profitable month of March!


Amin
investorspotlight@gmail.com



DISCLAIMER
Please don’t take my comments as advice.  My posts are for educational purposes only.  I am sharing my thoughts and perspectives of the market. I post to share my own interpretations of market conditions. If I mention specific stocks, it is only to highlight a potential opportunity. I expect readers to do their own research on any position they want to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 First Annual IBD National Meetup IBD held a 3 hour Virtual Meetup online on Saturday August 20th at 11.30 am. It was one of the most inform...