Friday, May 22, 2015

Janet Yellen, Millennials, and Winning From Losers

What I Noticed This Week

The markets seemed to have trouble deciding which way they wanted to trend this week.  With the holiday weekend approaching, it's no surprise that volume has been lack luster.  Nobody wants to risk added exposure at a time like this!

That being said, there were still some opportunities this week.  Some members from my local Meetup discussed how they were able to make a profit on one particular stock.  Many used IBD® data to identify this as a quality stock but it's interesting to see how they tweaked their approach to fit their own trading style - myself included!

Does Janet Yellen Understand What Drives The Economy?


Janet Yellen, Millennials, and Winning From Losers
Last week I highlighted that I recently started following Ben Bernanke's new blog at the Brookings Institute.  I make sure to collect points of view that differ from my own in order to give myself the best chance at understanding market behavior.

Earlier today, I came across this article from Chris Matthews that discusses James Montier's view that both Bernanke and Yellen still leave something to be desired in terms of understanding how the economy works.

For me, it's important to give equal weight to both opinions because I don't want my analysis of future data to carry bias if possible.  I've always found that when I make predictions based on data, I have more success.  When I make decisions on what I feel, I get myself into trouble.  Exposing myself to both points of view on this matter really helps to keep me honest during my own analysis.

An Interesting Take On Millennials


Millennials are coming into their own in terms of their contribution to our economy.  Just a few weeks ago I highlighted that Whole Foods is courting Millennials as a part of their long term business model.

Recently I've been paying attention to any Millennial-centric news and I came across a thought provoking Wall Street Journal video from Douglas Boneparth (a Millennial himself) who just so happens to my son's CFP.  Definitely worth watching, no matter what generation you identify with.




Winning From Losers

In a guest blog post yesterday, I offered up some ways that you can still come out a winner on a losing trade.  I kept it short and sweet so have a look!


Keep in mind that US markets are closed on Memorial Day so my watch list and trade plans will be going out on Tuesday morning.  If you haven't already, you can sign up for those services below:





Payment Options



Enjoy the holiday and as always, Happy Trading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 First Annual IBD National Meetup IBD held a 3 hour Virtual Meetup online on Saturday August 20th at 11.30 am. It was one of the most inform...