Friday, April 24, 2015

This Week: Investing Is a Contact Sport

Don't Fly Solo

Anyone that knows me personally knows that I'm a high energy individual who loves to meet new people.  Investing can be a lonely affair but I've learned that I don't have to go it alone.  Just yesterday I "met" Bryan Kelly online and as a result I was introduced to an interesting Content as as Service (CaaS) product, Nimble Quotes, which I was able to start using instantly and for free. 


We exchanged details and subscribed to each others blogs and now we each have access to each others insights moving forward.  My take away here is that even though I'm insulated from other investors in my daily research routine, if I lift my head and look around I find others like me everywhere!

With that said, if you're on FaceBook, Twitter, or G+ please like and follow me! 


Microsoft & McDonalds In The News

The financial woes of McDonalds have been well documented the last few years and now that they've decided to raise pay by 10% for as many as 90,000 workers, they will have added pressure to right the ship.  There's been a lot of discussion in the media about McDonalds' plan to increase automation.  The jury is still out on the exact reasoning behind MCDs offering these new kiosks but several reasons have been suggested.  

Some say it's part of their plan to attract the digitally oriented youth of the world.  Some say it's a natural progression given the success of the Ziosk system at Chili's.  Politics have also been inserted into the discussion with pundits claiming the move was motived by $15/hour mandated wages in some states.  I have a feeling it's a mix of all of these but until I see data that proves one approach is working better than another, I'll remain on the fence regarding these business decisions.

Microsoft was also surprisingly in the news this week with a glowing earnings report.  Financial institutions will undoubtedly pull profits from some of their existing positions and push them into Microsoft to take advantage of the surge.  It will be interesting to see how that move will affect growth stocks but I'm even more interested to see how Microsoft plans to utilize the cash injection.   

$HAR and $ULTA 

On Monday I highlighted $HAR and $ULTA as part of my market outlook and just yesterday they moved into their goldilocks buy point zone.  I'm waiting on market confirmation before taking a position, though.  If the gains from this week continue continue we'll have uptrend resumed which is my green light to get into new positions.  The $SPY needs to be above 2130 and DOW over 18,300 for me to feel comfortable again.  The $QQQ is already above 5050 which is a good sign in my opinion.

A Free Gift To My Subscribers

I've decided that next week I'm going to start offering sample trade plans! Each trade plan will include both entry and exit conditions as well as the metrics I use to track the health of a stock.  As a part of this roll out I will be offering 1 free plan to anyone that has subscribed to my mailing list so if you'd like access now's your chance to sign up:



Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required




No comments:

Post a Comment

 First Annual IBD National Meetup IBD held a 3 hour Virtual Meetup online on Saturday August 20th at 11.30 am. It was one of the most inform...